Saturday, June 5, 2010

Mud, Water, Rain and Bikes

I woke up early this morning and went downtown Loudonville to see the start of the moutain bike 100. I think there was like 600 starters from all over the US. I couldn't believe how fast they started out, but grant it, they were on the road and I'm sure they slowed down once they hit the trails, well maybe! My husband, Mark and I, hurried home and changed into our running clothes so we could get out on the trails and watch them in action. We parked at the campground A, were the PR 50k starts and ran to the trail head of the orange loop to see them come through. I think it was about mile 14 for the riders and you could tell already that it was going to be a long day for some. They were already covered in mud and soaking wet with sweat from the humidity. Mark and I ran by the river to the covered bridge and it was nothing but mud and water ankle deep! At the CB, we watched the riders come across the bridge from the orange loop. I thought the riders were covered with mud before, but this time they were coated from head to toe both back and front! I have never in my life seen anything like it!! It was actually pretty cool and made me start thinking that I should give it a try!! We ran to the top of the Dam and back along the river for a total of 11 miles. It was very humid but we had fun!!! I just looked at the extended forcast for MO 100 and it said 87 degrees, sunny, hot and humid! Hopefully, that will change!

No comments: