Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Struggles

We all have struggles in our lives. Some are far worse than others and I think we all learn from them wether it's good or bad. As I'm running down the trail today, I thought of my family and our struggles. We have never had any life threatening struggles( thank you God) but none the less we have had struggles that have tested us in every aspect of our lives. I am thinking about life's struggles after a conversation with my middle son, Kyle. He runs cross country and track for OWU and has been struggling alittle with his motivation. Ever since he broke his foot last spring, he has been trying to play catch up on his miles and I think it is starting to get the best of him. He is not a distance guy but more of a 800m on down, sort of runner. Distance running does not come easy for him and he has to work harder than most when it comes to long runs. He is in their top 7 runners but it's not easy for him. Right now, he is struggling with the miles which causes him to get injured. If he has a good cross season he usually ends up injured for track or visa versa. Thank goodness he has a good coaching staff that is helping him through this. They have decided less miles and more intensity will be better for him. Time will tell!!

My oldest son, Coery, has been struggling with what to do with his life. He is an in the box kind of guy and does not do well with change. There has been alot of change in his life lately. Work, coaching, his girlfriend leaving for college, applying to grad school, and being on his own for the first time. Many struggles to get through, that only he can do!!

Then, we have Keith, the youngest, who is learning alot watching his brothers go through their struggles. High school, football and girls are about the only things he has to worry about at this point in his life!
As a mother, I wish I could carry the burden on my shoulders for the boys, but I know that they have to figure it out on their own and do it themselves. All I can do is try to guide and pray for them and most importantly, be there to listen and support them.

Now on to my struggles with running. It has been a rough summer for me. Two DNF's in 100 milers have put a big damper on me both mentally and physically. I think I have just beat myself up with the long miles and cross training. Age is starting to creep up on me, which means I can feel all the aches and pains and the process of my body slowing down. I am trying to accept it, move on and work with what God has given me! Not being as fast as I use to be, is a very BIG struggle!! I am trying to readjust my goals and move on. I need to learn from the mistakes I have made this summer so not to repeat those dreaded DNF's. The last couple of weeks, I have been feeling better and am starting to get excited about the fall racing season. All I can do is try and hopefully I'll get over this hump!! Thanks to all my trail buddies, who make my runs more enjoyable!! I need all of you to keep me motivated!!

Yesterday(Monday), I had boot camp class, ran 6.2 miles, 20 min. on the stair climber and 1 mile swim with 10x25yd sprints and 300yd pull.
Today(Tuesday), I ran 11.5 miles at Mohican and did some ab work. I was very proud on myself because I really wanted to lift weight and go for a swim, but I DIDN'T!! I guess I'm trying to cut down! LOL

No comments: