Monday, September 28, 2009

More Speed and Hills

Yesterday I decided that if I want to get faster and more efficient in races, I have to quit doing what I call "junk miles" and start to doing intervals, tempo runs and different things to improve my leg turn over. I feel that I have the ability to run faster than a 7:00 min. pace per mile as I did on Saturday. I know that I will never be as fast as I was 10 or 15 yrs. ago but I still would like to improve my times in all distances. The key will be to stay healthy, train smart and not over do it like I have a tendancy to do.LOL With that being said, Today I ran an easy 5 miles in the morning followed by weight lifting. In the afternoon, I did a hill workout with the c-c team. Behind the Loudonville High School , there is a hill that everyone calls the football hill because years ago, the football team would have to run it for punishment. It's about 200 meters long and is straight up. We did about a mile and a half warm-up, 10 hills nonstop(I ended up going 13 because I ran 3 extra with the slower girls)and then 3 miles for a warm-down. Total miles for the afternoon was 6.5 because I also count the half mile from my house to the school and back. Total miles for the day-11.5. So far I'm off to a good start!!!

No comments: